I think it is
safe to say that I am now obsessed with Ancestry.com and any other means
of searching for ancestors. I was up late (again) on Friday night and
found something interesting about the Yule side of the family.
Let me start with a little background…
When I first started putting the tree together I knew of my grandfather, Paul Yule (1876-1955). Searching records I came up with a WWI draft registration card with a name I didn’t recognize - Frederick Marius Yule. Why (I thought to myself) would this record be showing up? I clicked on it to view the original record and saw that Paul was listed as Fred’s nephew. I was able to connect the two because Paul did in fact live in San Francisco at the time and via other records I was able to determine that they were both from the same town in Denmark.

Subsequent searches on Frederick turned up other records that listed his mother as “Cehngraf”. I also found Paul’s mother’s name “Charlotte Zehngraf”. The connection was clear since Paul eventually named a daughter after his mother. What was confusing, however, is how an uncle and nephew could have mothers with such similar names.
On Thursday, I upgraded my Ancestry membership to include international records; and on Friday night I started searching the Danish registries. All I really knew was that Paul and Frederick were both born in Aalborg (Ålborg), Denmark and had mothers named Cehngraf/Zehngraf.
This is where things got exciting…
I did a search for Paul Yule and was presented with a baptism record for Poul Juul, mother Charlotte Zehngraf, father Christen Juul. Eureka! I had found Paul’s parents. I was thrilled. Then I found three other records for Paul/Poul’s siblings: Christian Anthony Rabek Juul (abt 1874), Gebhardt Juul (abt 1875), Josva de Lemos Juul (abt 1878), and an another older brother born around 1872 - Frederik Marius Juul, (note: my grandmother Charlotte’s name is listed as “Juul” on her birth certificate).
Obviously, I have no idea why Fred would refer to his younger brother as nephew, but here it was. Maybe it was due to language differences between Danish and English. Now I have been able to unite them on the tree and solve a tiny mystery. Fred later moved from Yakima, Washington, where he was a farmer, to San Luis Obispo where his brother lived - presumably to retire in a warmer climate. Fred died in SLO in 1953, followed by Paul in 1955.
A new path has opened and the search continues…
Let me start with a little background…
When I first started putting the tree together I knew of my grandfather, Paul Yule (1876-1955). Searching records I came up with a WWI draft registration card with a name I didn’t recognize - Frederick Marius Yule. Why (I thought to myself) would this record be showing up? I clicked on it to view the original record and saw that Paul was listed as Fred’s nephew. I was able to connect the two because Paul did in fact live in San Francisco at the time and via other records I was able to determine that they were both from the same town in Denmark.

Subsequent searches on Frederick turned up other records that listed his mother as “Cehngraf”. I also found Paul’s mother’s name “Charlotte Zehngraf”. The connection was clear since Paul eventually named a daughter after his mother. What was confusing, however, is how an uncle and nephew could have mothers with such similar names.
On Thursday, I upgraded my Ancestry membership to include international records; and on Friday night I started searching the Danish registries. All I really knew was that Paul and Frederick were both born in Aalborg (Ålborg), Denmark and had mothers named Cehngraf/Zehngraf.
This is where things got exciting…
I did a search for Paul Yule and was presented with a baptism record for Poul Juul, mother Charlotte Zehngraf, father Christen Juul. Eureka! I had found Paul’s parents. I was thrilled. Then I found three other records for Paul/Poul’s siblings: Christian Anthony Rabek Juul (abt 1874), Gebhardt Juul (abt 1875), Josva de Lemos Juul (abt 1878), and an another older brother born around 1872 - Frederik Marius Juul, (note: my grandmother Charlotte’s name is listed as “Juul” on her birth certificate).
Obviously, I have no idea why Fred would refer to his younger brother as nephew, but here it was. Maybe it was due to language differences between Danish and English. Now I have been able to unite them on the tree and solve a tiny mystery. Fred later moved from Yakima, Washington, where he was a farmer, to San Luis Obispo where his brother lived - presumably to retire in a warmer climate. Fred died in SLO in 1953, followed by Paul in 1955.
A new path has opened and the search continues…
No comments:
Post a Comment